Wednesday, November 5, 2008

First Letter

Hey everyone! This is Karly Staples. I am going to be updating Glenn's blog throughout his mission so that all of his many friends can read about his amazing experience. I would love for you all to leave Glenn a comment and I will print them out and mail them to him.

Here is his first letter to his family...

Ok first of all it is freezing in Provo. Happy snow day.
Well everything has been going really well, I don't know
if you've gotten any of my letters yet. I've sent
two and put another one in the mailbox today. Anyways, the
past week has been such a crazy adventure! I wish you could
just read my journal and hear everything right away!
Teaching is getting better every day. Yesterday we actually
had our first "Teaching Appointment" and it went
AMAZINGLY! It was the first time I really felt the Spirit
directing what I said. It felt like D&C 100 coming to
life. If you havent gotten my letters yet, my first
companion, Elder Hawkins went home on Halloween. He just
couldnt handle it emotionally. It was really sad but at the
same time it was good for me because I couldnt focus on
being homesick or anything. I really have been fine. Which I
am so gratefulk for. It's been a total answer to prayer.
Iguess my farewell talk subject was pretty inspired from
Brother Olsen after all. We have 11 missionaries in our
district - 7 elders and 4 sisters. All in all, we are going
to Edmonton; Tempe, AZ; Riverside, CA; and Halifax. Canada.
So it's a pretty diverse bunch. I am doing really well.
All I heard before I got here was how long the days were and
they def. are long but I love the classes. We have really
awesome teachers. It's just so much fun being a
missionary. One of the other things I got to do this week
was work in the Referral Center, where you make calls to
people all over the country who have filled out pass-along
cards, requested a Book of Mormon etc. It feels kind of like
the Box Office haha. Anyways, I talked to one lady the other
day from California. She had gotten her Book of Mormon two
days prior and had tons of questions. We talked for about a
half hour and I was surprised that every time she asked a
question, the Spirit prompted me with an answer or a
scripture reference which I have never been very good at
remembering. What a blessing. And it was the most uplifting
and exciting conversation because she was so enthusiastic
about what she was reading and plus I was finally talking to
a real investigator instead of practicing! I'm very
excited to get out into the field and talk to more people
face to face.

So how is everyone?? I have loved getting your letters. My
district is kind of all jealous of me because I get letters
and packages every day ha. So far I have gotten 17 letters
and 3 packages just this week. Thank you for being so
thoughtful and remembering me.

Oh and guess what? I'm actually losing weight in the
MTC! I have been drinking nothing but water this entire week
and I can rarely finish my plate because since we eat
breakfast here, I'm never like STARVING for the rest of
the day. I am surviving Gym ha. The first day was absolutely
dreadful because you have to stay with someone from your
district so I ended up freaking running. Yeah. But the other
day we all got together and played volleyball which was
definitely more my style ha. It was really fun.

We got to go the temple today and holy cow the inside of
the Provo Temple is so beautiful, parts of it literally took
my breath away and it was pretty different than the StG
temple. Like you don't move rooms or anything.

Let's see. Mom, could you possibly send me a couple
sweaters I can wear under my suit coat please? And an
umbrella would be really nice if that's possible.
That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment.
other than the flip-flops but I already told you that in my
letter.

I love you so so so much. And I think about you every day.
I am trying to be the very best missionary and example of
our Savior I can be. I know that what I am teaching people
is the truth and that the people in Candada really need it.
I love my Savior and I am so grateful for the chance to
serve Him for 2 years of my life!

Love,

Elder Rowley

P.S. Could you forward this to Karly karlystaples@mac.com,
Chelsea misschelsea@mac.com, Dani creamcheeser@hotmail.com,
and all the fam. I've written them all letters but I
want them to get these too. And Chelsea or Karly, I
don't have Trent's email so could you pass this on
for me? Thanks! Love you all!

Oh and Dad I need the Avizu's address. I already have
two letters for them but I dont know what they're exact
address is. In fact, a full ward directory would be really
great.

Oh and to answer some of your questions from your Dear
Elders, my sleep schedule has been totally fine because I am
getting a full 8 hours every night so it's not like
I'm sleep deprived at all. I just had to get used to
waking up at 630 ha. But I am doing good with it. Dad, Thank
you for the cookies! The district loved them as much as I
did! Gramma, I wrote you but I will say it again, thank you
for your cookies too! Those I didn't share. They were so
amazing and arrived to me in complete cookies, not crumbs
haha. I am doing my best to write everyone when i have a
chance but I really am so busy it takes a while to get a
full letter done. I love you all!

1 comment:

tambomiller said...

Love you too Glen.. Thanks Karly Warly for the update !!!