Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Sharing(?) a Living Space

Now that I'm done with the hardest Chemistry homework I've ever done, I want to take a few minutes to blog. The above is a picture of my lovely apartment. Now here's the thing: I took this picture right after my parents left, when no one but me had moved in yet. Little did I know that after over 7 months of living with five other roommates, this picture would pretty much still sum up the feel of my apartment. I have finally come to terms with the fact that I have been placed in the most unusual, absurd living situation ever. I live with 5 roommates. But you wouldn't know it by coming to my apartment. You walk in the front door and rarely see anything but three closed doors. There is no interaction between roommates. There is no laughter or funny quote wall filled with inside jokes from a schoolyear of living together. My roommate Van and I don't really talk. The only time he even acknowledges me is when he doesn't understand a word/concept in English and needs an explanation. He's been at BYU for almost three months and I still know virtually nothing about him. Yet we share a bedroom... I can literally go a full week (from Monday night to Monday night for FHE) without seeing one of my roommates in particular. Because he does nothing but sit in his room and play World of Warcraft. I'm not being judgemental, I'm just observing that this is the strangest situation. It has made me vow to never live with strangers ever again. So it's a good thing I already have a pretty solid idea of who I will be living with when I get back. Thank goodness. Many other apartments in my ward became fast friends, immediately clicking and finding common interests. Unfortunately, I haven't really found any common interests with any of my roommates this year. It's not that we don't get along. We just have nothing in common. Or maybe they all do and I just don't know about it. Maybe the parties are happening when I'm not there. But with only one month left, I don't think I will ever find out.

1 comment:

Ang said...

Wow, that is crazy! hope the roommates get better next semester!
-Angie