Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lucky Number 13

Ok so a very interesting thing just happened to me. I just came back to my room after watching a movie with the gang and some new friends. I walked in, sat down and was checking my email when my Buddhist roommate asked me these questions: "What does 'We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things' mean? What is the admonition of Paul? For about 5 seconds I couldn't think of what to say and had a little trouble processing that, after three months of silence, he was asking me a question about the church. And then my brain started furiously trying to remember anything I had ever learned about the admonition of Paul. Saying a silent prayer that there would be something written in the margin, I opened my scriptures to the Articles of Faith. Thankfully, due to some year of EFY or seminary, I had scrawled Phil. 4:8 next to the verse. It took a minute for me to explain as best I could, and I'm not even sure I explained it exactly right, but I did my best and he seemed to understand. I am so grateful that the scriptures helped me answer his question because when he asked it I literally had NO idea what the answer was. Thank you EFY counselor or seminary teacher or whoever felt compelled to explain that to me once and have me write the reference in my scriptures. Totally sweet mission prep.

No comments: