Friday, March 28, 2008

Dreaming Wide Awake

Ok for those of you who really know me, you know that my favorite type of music is contemporary musical theater. Thanks to Chelsea, I have recently discovered an up-and-coming composer from New York named Scott Alan. Earlier this year, he released his first collection of songs, Dreaming Wide Awake: The Music of Scott Alan. Now, I have been dying to get this album for months. And thanks to the Easter Bunny, I finally have it! The whole thing is amazing and I am completely addicted to this man's music. So much of it is filled with uplifting, good messages, and the vocalists he uses on the album are a literal Who's-Who of Broadway. However, all of this is not why I wanted to blog about. In addition to all his other work, Scott has also recently begun to work pretty extensively with my absolute favorite vocalist, Natalie Weiss. (Also a Chelsea-find. What would I do without this girl?) Earlier this week, they recorded a new song for the Limited Edition re-release of Dreaming Wide Awake. It's called "The Distance You Have Come" and after this crazy, emotional year of college, I immediately connected with this song. I think everyone needs to remember this once in a while. Go to scottalan.net to listen to the complete recording and a bunch of his other stuff! Here are the lyrics:
The Distance You Have Come

I don't know where tomorrow finds me
The only thing I know is where I'm standing now.
In this life, there's never been a guarantee
Which seems to be the only guarantee I've found.
But keep your eyes upon the road
Keep driving
It won't be long until you see
A sign that says that you're arriving.

And when you reach that day
When you conquered what's behind you
Don't forget the fight it took to get you here.
And when you reach the top
Of the mountain you've been climbing
Don't forget the distance you have come.


It's hard when no one tells you if you're
winning
But just remind yourself how far that you've already
come.
And some days you may feel that there is no
ending
But if you give up now, you'll never know if you could
have won.
Keep your eyes upon the road
Keep driving
It won't be long until you see
A sign that says that you're arriving


And when that day has come
When you've conquered what's behind you
Don't forget the moments that have come before
And when you reach that place
When you're miles from where you started
Don't forget the distance you have come.

And there'll be days when the weight of the world will
bind you
And you're wondering if the world really needs
you

But keep on goin', keep on driving
Cuz the sign ahead will soon be behind you.


And when you reach that day
When you've conquered what's behind you
Don't forget the fight it took to get you here.
And when you reach the top
Of the mountain you've been climbing
Don't forget the distance you have come.


And when that day has come
When you've conquered what's behind you
Don't forget the moments that have come before.
And when you reach that place
When you're miles from where you started
Don't forget the distance...
Don't forget the distance...


Don't forget the distance you have come.