Monday, January 14, 2008

We Are the Party

The first official weekend of Winter semester went out with a bang. Well, more like a barrage of machine gun fire. Seriously, I can't even describe how much fun I've had in the past three days. When Friday first rolled around, I woke up not feeling very well. However, I'm very grateful that passed. I got to spend part of the day at Karly's new apartment and it was so good to spend some much needed quality time with my BFF. Friday night we (Boys Only) hit up two "Welcome Back" dances. The first was at the Heritage Central Building. There we met up with Megan, Stephanie, Katie, Ashley and plenty of other ward friends. To be perfectly honest, I don't know over 1/2 the people in this picture, but they all jumped in. When the Heritage dance ended at 11, we (Chris, Abe, Brent, and I) decided it was worth it to hit up the BYUSA dance in the Wilk Ballroom. It was definitely a funny experience. The first song that came on once we showed up was Soulja Boy. Now, we've been doing Soulja Boy since September so we started doing the dance (yes, for those of you who don't know, the song has a dance to it). To our huge surprise though, we got done with the first chorus and a HUGE circle had formed around the four of us and literally maybe 50 people sat and watched us do the entire dance. We managed to get a huge round of applause at the end. I'm telling you, the party really does tend to revolve around us haha.

Saturday (after two job interviews - crossing my fingers) brought more craziness. Saturday was Jill's 19th birthday! This momentous occasion brought a multitude of Happy Birthday choruses, cake, and shout-outs during the evening. Saturday was also the night of our first stake activity - the Heritage Stake Lip Sync. Basically every ward had to come up with a lip sync and the winning ward won breakfast courtesy of the stake presidency. Our ward decided there was power in small numbers so we were represented by R.S. President Dani, and three of the Kaysville boys - Jordan, Stewie, and one of my boys, the one and only Abe McKay. They had seriously practiced so much for this performance, (they started before Christmas break) and it was priceless. Hopefully you've seen the OK Go video on YouTube, because I can't seem to get the video to load on here. Sadly, we were robbed and DIDN'T EVEN PLACE. Even though we were clearly the best. McKenzie, Jill, and Erin's ward actually won with The Nicest Kids in Town from Hairspray, so we couldn't be that bitter. After the competition, we had ANOTHER dance in the Ballroom and we once again, as usual, stole the spotlight and tore it up. We seriously own dances at BYU. When Soulja Boy came on, we even got up on stage and did it for the whole crowd haha. I've learned to never pass up a dance because it is seriously impossible to not have fun at one, especially when we're all together. After the dance, we all headed over to McKenzie, Jill, and Erin's for some birthday cake. Afterwhich we proceeded to collapse from exhaustion.


Sunday brought a sharp constrast in the course of the weekend. We all (me, Brent, Abe, Chris, Jill, Erin, and McKenzie - hopefully you start to comprehend who I spend the majority of my time with) woke up at the crack of dawn (like 7:00) and drove to South Jordan for our dear friend Brandall's missionary farewell. He's actually not leaving for Brazil until the very end of the month, but seeing as next weekend we are taking a boys' weekend to STG, his farewell had to be this Sunday. After braving the snow and icy roads (I decided not to tell my mom until after we got back so she wouldn't panic, love ya Mom!) Brandall gave one of the best farewell talks I have ever heard. After sacrament, we all went to his house for good food and good time with friends. It is so crazy that he will be leaving soon!


Coming back to Provo after a few hours in South Jordan, we dropped the girls off at their apartment and all took a powernap to get ready for the highlight of the weekend. Tonight, Elder Earl C. Tingey, acting president of the Quorum of the Seventy came to speak at the CES Fireside in the Marriott Center. Elder Tingey also happens to be Brent and Kendall's grandpa. So they invited us to sit with them as "special guests of President Tingey." Now, I took this to mean that we would be sitting somewhere down on the floor of the Marriott. But once we got there, we had FRONT ROW SEATS, or as Brent so frankly put it "Out of all the important people sitting down here, we're the most important." The fireside was amazing and it was a great experience to go to it with some of the very best friends I could ask for. It was especially fun for me because I was sitting with Abe and he was totally on a roll tonight. His sense of humor kills me. (This was before/after the actual talk. During the talk we were totally reverent. I was sore from sitting so still.) As an added bonus, after the fireside, Elder Tingey came down and said hello to all of us, handshakes included. Now, we had all met him before when he came down for Brent's ordination but it was still amazing. It's really funny though, because all I hear about him is the side that's not a General Authority, just Brent's grandpa. Another funny thing was that when we were waiting to leave, someone turned to us and said something like "You guys look like you're about to perform or something." We were all decked out in our suits and I thought it was amusing because earlier in the day one of us had made the comment about how we looked like a modern-day version of the Beatles. I guess we do kind of come in a package deal... Once we got back, we went to hall meeting, ward prayer, and then I went to choir practice with Kendall and Andy. And then, we all spent a few hours back in their apartment just talking, joking around, listening to music and laughing harder than I ever have at BYU.

This perfect, kind of picturesque ending to a perfect weekend really made me realize how lucky I am that Heavenly Father put these people in my life. After much thought on the subject, I honestly believe that is one of the reasons why I was supposed to come to BYU. They have just had such a positive impact on me, each in their own way, and I don't know if they even realize it. I know I will always have my friends from St. George, but I realize that I need these friends too, and they are now just as an important part of my life as the StG Six and my family. I've finally found my niche. I'm so happy to wake up every day. I feel like a real part of a genuine group of brothers, which is something I never found in high school. And to think I was so scared about making new friends last semester. I feel extremely blessed. It was a perfect weekend.

No comments: