Friday, November 2, 2007

Dear Mom

Today was very lowkey. I didn't do much and it was so nice. I have recently been assured that I really am a member of my family because of one thing: I have a genetic need for Taco Bell. I have had it every single day this week and I love it! It kind of makes me homesick though, because it makes me think of the fam (especially Mom) but it's ok because it really is SO GOOD. After my lunch I went to Mask Club, which has quickly become my favorite class. It's my Acting Lab, and basically every Thursday I go watch a student-directed show in the Nelke Experimental Theater. It's seriously one of my favorite parts of my week. The shows so far have dealt with really intense themes i.e. the AIDS panic of the 1980's, surviving high school and rumors, leaving home and growing up, and this week was a show about teenage depression and suicide. This week's play hit me particularly hard because I've had a pretty rough time adjusting to being up here and to be honest I've gotten a little down on myself a few times. And I just really connected with the material because in the show, this girl was having such a hard time and was so depressed and all she wanted to do was talk to her mom about everything but the mom was so busy that she just didn't notice. It was based on a real suicide in Las Vegas. And it made me realize how grateful I am to have such an amazing mom who will always drop everything to listen to me and talk with me about whatever is going on in my life. She knows my friends and my problems, all about my classes and teachers, and everything else in my life. She even knows all the little things like my favorite color, the music I like and new music I fall in love with, she keeps track of the TV shows I'm watching and listens to me when I babble about them, the soda I'm addicted to, even what I don't like on my Taco Bell. I am so blessed to have such an amazing mom. People tell her enough how great of a mom she is. I don't know of a single mom who is so involved in each of her kid's lives. I'm so lucky to have that because not many people do. She has really helped me survive up here because she is always, always there for me. Even during my 2 in the morning homesickness meltdowns. She is always willing to lend me some of her great advice, and always knows how to cheer me up when I call her with yet another end-of-the-world dilemma. I don't know what I would do without her. And now I'm crying. It's been an emotional day. I miss you Mom. I love you.

No comments: